Tuesday, February 23, 2010

School Spirit Weeks

Anyone who has gone to, or is going to a public school should know of "Spirit Week."

What this is, is a week where the school tells students what outfits to wear as a theme for the day.

Now, as my readers may wonder, "Why are you typing this?" Well my readers, I have an answer.

For the week the only theme has been Pajama day. Thursday and Friday are Decade Day and School Colors. Tomorrow is nerd day.

Nerd Day? What the hell is this. I do believe that the term nerd has been stereotyped beyond all repair, and also, isin't that a name that could be deemed bullying? This seems kind of hypocritical of the school. I already know what I will see tomorrow. I will see tons of people in short shorts, suspenders, white button ups with pocket protectors, and fake Ray Bans. This is wrong on many levels. Wearing any of those does not make you a nerd. Amongst all of the urban dictionary definitions I feel like the 13th is the most accurate in todays society. If you search Google Images for the word Nerd, all of what you will see, is what I will be seeing tomorrow. I personally believe that this school [for lack of better word] holiday is demeaning, and is wrong.

Also, Decade Day. All I will be seeing for that is tie-dye and fake afro's. This is also another school [and again, for lack of better word] holiday I personally do not like. There was more to our past then tie-dye and afro's. There was the entire generation before that, where people were formally dressed, or just really any other era other then what most people make the past to be.

So [if or] when you participate in these school holidays, think of what they really mean, and how they could affect other people.

Just remember, The guys you call 'Nerd' and 'Geek,' will one day be your boss.

1 comments:

Madison said...

They used to have hillbilly day back in my time, which was when all the girls would try to look like Daisy Duke with the tiny shorts and tight flannel.

Nerd day, though? Not cool.